Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Taking My Boho Palette To Work


It was love at first sight for me with the Boho Beauty Palette when I saw it up close and personal when I attended the blogger's launch for the Brush With Fashion collection of The Body Shop. I love browns and warm palettes. So when Rachel called me for a fun shoot, I immediately knew what would be the first thing I'll pack in my malette.

I've been working with Rachel for quite some time now, with both her in front of the camera and her behind. We think of fun shoots as a way of both boosting our skills at the same time making good use of our time while hanging out. We were going to do avante garde shoots for this but I told her that I just had to use the palette on her for a clean beauty shot since at first glance, I knew who would be the right person to demonstrate how to use the palette.


It was even better that she brought out orange and copper fabrics because that really brought the fire in more. I think the warm peaches and browns really enhances her golden color more (I use a mix of NC43 and NC45 on her, sometimes going deeper to NC55's or 50's when she's back from her regular beach trips). Of course this is a fun shoot, so I thought I'd practice using this palette on one of my favorite models and show you guys a nice way of wearing this.


Here's a picture of the palette to refresh your memory:

clockwise from top left: new nude, vintage apricot, boho brown, haute chocolate

Vintage Apricot was used on the lid, which turns out to be a sheer matte apricot-orange instead of fruity orange. Boho Brown was used to contour her crease and make the eye shape deeper and New Nude on the browbones. Since this was a photoshoot, eyes should be deeper since it could get washed out with strong lights, or play of shadows. I used a smidgen of the warm reddish brown of Haute Chocolate on the corners of her eyes and extended it a bit to the lower lashline for more depth. The brown liner enclosed (Rich brown) I used to tightline and I set this with a combination of Haute Chocolate and Boho Brown before lining the top lashline with brown gel liner. I skipped the glittery tear ducts since I wanted a very natural boho look. After all, boho is all about being carefree right?

For lip color, I thought a pretty orange-peach shade would be wonderful to compliment the colors of the fabrics and the overall look. I used a sheer coral blush and topped this with golden bronzer to enhance Rachel's tanned color as I subtley contoured her face to give it some shape and dimension.

This look I could definitely use on a bride on a beach wedding with sunset colors as the motif or probably on a night out on town. I could upgrade the look with a bolder lip in a red-orange or bright scarlet color in the warm spectrum to tie up everything, and should I find this look too matte, a kiss of shimmer on the lid could add some sparkle.

Photo Credits:
model: Rachel Lobangco
photo: Ruel Tafalla (www.rueltafalla.com)


No comments: