Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Forever Young With Olay

My love affair with Olay started when I was introduced to Olay Regenerist two years ago (wow! tagal na). After that, I've been a regular Olay user. I'm currently using Olay Total Effects with cooling essence as my moisturizer (under sunblock) and Olay Body as my soap. So far, I have nothing but great things to say about it and I'm glad I'm super hiyang. I admit starting with Olay late in my life, when I became really conscious about skin care and anti-ageing, and I not only use it on myself but also on my clients, particularly those very conscious in the anti-ageing department.



I got invited to an Olay event last Wednesday as it celebrates its many years as an iconic skin care brand. Being an Olay user, it was a yes for me to go. When I got there, I was handed out a card where I should come up with a witty statement by filling in the blanks to this:



"Time can change _________________ but ________________ would live forever."


and then post it to the wall right there.

While waiting I took pictures of the displays



All the Olay Total Effects we love and information about them.



Imagine a vanity that looks like this filled with Olay products! I'll never look old ever! I'll use Olay all over my body then.


Have you guys tried the Olay Total Effects Mask? Then you should! I went to SM Makati though to buy a sheet but they ran out. :( You could read all about it right here. It's a bit pricey for a mask sheet but it really does the job.


When the progam started, we found out the history of Olay, not only when it came here to Manila but how it really started. I found out that it actually wasn't developed by a woman, but take note - a South African chemist named Graham Wulff (yes, he's a he) back in the early 1950s. He created it as a gift to his wife Dinah. Apparently back then, beauty creams were thick and greasy and packed in tins just like shoe polish. Imagine that? Not only did it wasn't that fabulous on the vanity, it was just like putting wax on the face. There were stains on the pillow when you wake up in the morning and how could their pores breathe? The new face cream Wulff created was one that could be quickly absorbed to the skin with the benefits of hydration and protection.


After trial and error then comes the legendary Oil of Olay beauty fluid, which we see on our lola's dressers, the pink fluid with the black cap. I remember than on my own grandma's dresser.


Olay has come so far as the pink facial lotion in the 1950s. We have olay cleansers, serums, day and night creams, soaps, and shower creams. Olay has also different lines. There's the famous Regenerist line, which I currently use alongside my Total Effects with cooling essence. There's Natural White for those who want to achieve fairness without looking fake. Those who want a sunkissed glow would love Touch of Sun, which is available in the US. For higher levels for anti-ageing, there's Olay Definity, also available in the US.

I guess the most popular among all of us is Olay Total Effects, the iconic black-and-gold pump bottle which has raised awareness in the anti-ageing department. Since it got here, a lot of women have been conscious about anti-ageing. And Olay does more than just battle the 7 signs of skin ageing but also nourishes and protects the skin. Of course we needed testimonials to see proof that Olay does work so four Olay ambassadors share their stories of how this tiny bottle lives up to its promise.





TV Host Daphne Osena-Paez, theater actress Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, designer Ines Delgado-Prieto, and beauty queen Miriam Quiambao join the event host Menchu Antigua as they share their stories and how Olay has been a part of them. These ladies looked absolutely fabulous and take note that none of them are in their 20s yet they seem to look way better than women ten years younger than they are. These ladies have very busy, busy scheduled juggling one task to another and yet there's not a trace of haggardness in them.


After the event, I had the chance to say hi to Menchu Launchengco-Yulo. I'm glad she still remembers me!


I first saw Menchu when she portrayed the role of Fantine in Repertory Philippines' production of Les Miserables at the Meralco Theater. While I was in high school, she also became a guest speaker in our drama club where she gave us several mini-workshops. I did watch her plays after that, the last one being Hairspray and she still looks the same (I can't believe she's 47 already!) One of her most notable performances is where she portrayed Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd last year, which won her the Best Actress in A Musical Award by Philstage Awards for the PErforming Arts. To add to that and her many, many roles, she would soon take on another responsibility, that is stepping up as the Associate Artistic Director for Repertory Philippines next year.

Menchu grew up seeing Olay in her house with her mom being a user and swears by it up to this very day. Despite having her skin cooked under heavy stage makeup and strong stage lights, her skin still has that youthful glow thanks to Olay. Aside from Olay, she tells me that one of her tips is to just be happy. She doesn't stress much now and it really helped as well. One tip I learned!


With proper lifestyle, outlook, and skin care, I really hope that ten or so years after, I get to maintain a youthful vibe, just like the Olay ambassadors. I don't know if I'll be stepping onstage anytime but who knows? Till then, I'll just enjoy what I have and stay happy.

No comments: