Monday, March 30, 2009

Surviving The Summer

Summer makes me happy for a lot of reasons - it's time to jet out to the beach, get that tan line (which i'm quasi-done by the way), and just relax with a tall glass of iced tea. However, there's a downside to summer - the sweltering scorching heat, the dehydration, and the occasional migraine i get from the intense heat. Well, at least there's less traffic now.

So, I've gathered a few survival tricks for these 2 months before the rain starts to pour. I dunno if this works truly but it keeps me sane when the temperature rises. Now I really wish for rain to happen

1. Hydrate. Water has been my best friend. I drink lots of it since I dont want to bloat and be parched after walking. I know my bag's been heavier though but I can't get dehydrated and be confined for 24 hours to be hydrated via IV again.
2. Protect. I use sunscreen all-year-round but now I've been religious to apply sunscreen before I go out, even when there's no sun. I certainly don't want skin cancer, wrinkles, or discoloration. My lips have not been spared. I have sunscreen for my lips (MAC tinted lip conditioner with SPF 15 in Popster from the Hello Kitty collection). I use moisturizer with SPF and make sure my foundation has SPF. Some of the products I use: Shu Uemura UV underbase, Paul and Joe Creamy Compact, Shu Uemura sunblock with SPF 50, and Olay Regenerist Day Cream with SPF 15. I keep humongous shades in my bag too
3. Switch to lighter formulations. My rich creams are used at night only on trouble spots and I rehydrate my skin with a lightweight lotion. I know it's hella humid but i still need to keep hydrated. My shampoos and soap bars are also lighter and the scents fresher and citrusy. I switched over to fruity, citrusy scents and baby colognes as well/
4. Tie up - Since I'm growing my hair it's been in a uniform bun perpetually during the day since I like to keep my hair away from my face a lot especially at work. Here's what I do to avoid strays: I gel/mousse it up for hold and then twist it to a bun. When it's nighttime, I let it loose in waves.
5. Wear everything light - I've been sporting dresses/shorts/short skirts/light clothing lately. Maxi dresses and mini-dresses are my first love. At least I'm lucky that I have a job with no strict dress code. :) I also wear more strappy sandals, flipflops, wedges, and all things light. It's too hot to wear the suit-vest combo.
6. Work out - Since I reveal more skin, I should get in shape. And all the more if I'm going to the beach.
7. Have fun - Stressing out on the heat will just wear me out. I might as well enjoy the summer!

I think I should post now my summer essentials, but hey, I'll reserve that for another post.

No comments: