Thursday, September 2, 2010

Clean lines and Short Hemlines

So here's what I wore to the Downy event last Monday. The night before, I stared at my closet for what to wear. As usual, I'm more of the clean silhouette type when it comes to clothes. I knew I was going to eat, so I didn't want anything cinching my waist or abdomen yet since it was a hotel event, I still had to look good.

I settled for my favorite classic: The (very) little black dress:

My nice and naughty dress from Carlotta Manila walks the red carpet with me. The hemline's up to the midthigh already, elongating and exaggerating my height. Throw in wedge leopard sandals to add more height and if anyone asks me, I'm 5'11".


The bareback dress enhances toned shoulders and balances my wide hips too. It's a good contrast to the relatively high neckline the dress has. I kept accessories simple with not too much blings and baubles. I just had a watch that day and that's it, one of my staples and something I can't live the house without, superstitions and old wives' tales begone. I'll wear a watch even if it's old as long as it works. My shoes were quite comfortable and they provided me better support than stilettos.

In contrast to the clean lines and shapes, My hair was pincurled with lots and lots of volume. I take inspiration from Angelina Jolie's trademark long and wavy locks. I wanted hair with shape and character. Curls made my hair shorter than it usually is though, but it's long enough for the effect I wanted. I don't want curls that are too structured and I just pulled the top part back to give a bit of height. Okay, now I'm 6'1".

With the hair wavy and voluminous, I thought makeup should be clean this time. The dress is already short, even though the cut is very clean, so I wanted makeup that's fresh. Besides, it still is a daytime event. Pinks and peaches was the color of my palette here. Pure pink might be too cool for my skin tone and I bronzed prior to this event so I wanted a tad of warmth too.
On Face:
  • Olay Total Effects with Cooling essence as Moisturizer
  • MAC Just a Pinch Gel blush for a rosy glow from within
  • MAC Studiofinish concealer in NC30
  • MUD Corrector in BC3 on undereyes to neutralize only 5 hours of sleep.
  • MUD foundation in YG1.
  • MAC Studiofix powder foundation in NC35 to set and then topped with MAC Select Sheer in NC30
Contour:
  • MAC MSF in Dark to contour cheeks, nose bridge, jawline, and forehead.
  • MAC MSF in Light to highlight
Blush:
  • The Body Shop Blush #06
  • MAC MSF in Blonde as a highlight
Brows:
  • Make Up For Ever Eyebrow Corrector in #0
  • Paul and Joe Eyebrow Pencil #04
  • MAC Brow Set in Beguile
Eyes:
  • Laura Mercier Eye Base in Eyebright
  • MAC Paradisico on lid
  • MAC Amber Lights on crease
  • MAC Espresso on Outer V and lower lashline
  • MAC Bountiful brown to line top and bottom lashes
  • MAC Ricepaper to highlight brows.
  • MAC Blacktrack for top lash only
Lips:
  • MAC Pink Nouveau
I forgot to put mascara here. At first I thought I'd do that at the restroom, but since I was wearing glasses, I got lazy. Anyway, I'm glad for the Blacktrack, which created the illusion of full lashes even though I haven't curled them yet. If you've notice how much fond I am of layering blush, I like to focus on creating a 3D look by combining several colors and textures.
A little trivia I had for you with my dress was that prior to wearing, I washed the scent and used Downy Attraction fabric conditioner, which I purchased a few weeks ago at the grocery so I could try it out. The light and fresh floral scent combined well with my fragrance at that time, which was D&G Light Blue.


No comments: