Sunday, May 9, 2010

Industry Spotlight: Andrian Jutba

After packing his bags and boarding a plane to Manila, young photographer Andrian Jutba has beefed up his portfolio with his fantastic images. Many of his models have gone to Europe, New York, and other Asian countries and use his images. Known for his preference for natural light, fantastic and sensual storyboards, and eye for capturing the right emotion of the subject, Andy's works have this kind of sensuality that leaves the viewer wanting more.
I'm glad Andy has agreed to be featured here in my blog. This isn't his first time to be featured, though, as his works have graced many online magazines and international blogs as well.


1. How long have you been doing photography? What got you to start taking pictures?
I've been doing it for almost 2 years now. What got me started taking pictures is I have huge interest in fashion and somehow being able to inject it with stories that can be seen in daily life would be interesting. But as time goes by, I am more interested in just taking good photographs with beautiful individuals, the ones that inspires me in some ways as a photographer. This is my passion really and it feeds my soul. Photography is the main denominator in my life right now. Most of the important people in my life, I met because of photography.

Screenshots of Andy's work featured in online magazines.


2. Describe the Andrian Jutba photography style.
Natural, Spontaneous, Sensual. It's about their faces, about their bodies.

3. Natural light or studio lights? Which would you prefer?
Natural light surely is the way to go since I always aim for the natural/delicateness feel in my photo, nothing beats sunlight.



4. Who are the biggest influences and inspirations in your work?
There's a lot actually but one photographer really inspires me is Nicoline Patricia Malina, a photographer based in Jakarta, Indonesia. She really is amazing, her photos really speak from the heart, all the drama, emotion, tension it really shows, she's one of the reason why I want to be a photographer and because of her influence to me I just got a tattoo of her name near my left ribcage, and did I say she's amazing?


5. How do you get the models to feel comfortable when posing, especially if the shoot is sexy or if you're meeting them for the first time? How do you cope with those that have a hard time warming up at first?
I just make the models feel comfortable with themselves. I have conversations with them while the shoot is ongoing. I make them smile and make them feel comfortable with their sexuality and things will turn out the way that you planned it, which ends in beautiful photographs. When I work with people that I don't have a connection with, it's a disaster. There are other people who are super uptight and weird and you'll feel like it's going to be a disaster.


6. How do you deal with competition?
Competition is always there and some are really getting rough but it doesn't affect me. I have this hunger for excellence, perfection in everything that I do, but there's no person I'm going to push to the side to get where I'm going. I want to create my own road.


7. How would you want to be remembered in this industry?
I want to be remembered as the young kid who has an incredible drive with his passion in life.


8. Suppose you were to get in front of the camera and you could choose any photographer you want to take your photo. Who would it be?
Hedi Slimane.

For more of Andy's work, visit his online portfolio at http://www.andrianjutba.com.

No comments: