Monday, May 24, 2010

Review: Ellana Brush Cleanser

I stopped by the mall last Friday for last-minute essentials that I would be needing for Aia's wedding the following day. On my way home, I passed by the SM Makati weekend market (you know, every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, SM Makati has this mini-bazaar at the center) and I chanced upon a brush cleanser at the Ellana booth. I sprayed it a bit and went ahead, thinking I'd run out of time, but I guess I know I would need something for quick cleaning and I would have no time already to make my own brush cleanser when I get home, so I went ahead and bought it.


Since I'll be doing more than one face, I would need something to quick-clean my brushes in between faces so 1) the colors won't turn out muddy and would still look vibrant on each face and 2) hygienic purposes. It's not practical to wash the brushes between clients so a spray-on and quick-drying brush cleanser would be a good alternative. This costs Php150 for a spray bottle (the spray bottle is kinda small, holding about mL of the product). It also contains tea tree oil, which is a natural antibacterial agent.


So when I got home, I thought I'd take this to a road test. I had a client that day so naturally, I need to clean and wash my brushes. Before washing the brushes, I used the brush cleaner first.


The directions say to spray on the brush (one spray would do for a small brush, but for a big brush like a powder brush, a couple would do)


and rub on a paper towel



What I like about the product:

Smells really good. I like the fresh and clean scent.
  • Quick-drying. My brushes are dry in time for the next face.
  • Removes dirt.
  • Affordable.
  • No sticky residue.
  • Easy-to-use.


What I don't like about it:
  • Quick-drying a bit too quickly. I have to re-spray the tissue since it dries up quite fast so I tend to use more product.
  • It doesn't remove color completely from the brush. There are still some color residue, but it's enough. Hence, this is only good for quick-cleaning.
  • It doesn't have refill bottles. You have to purchase another spray bottle.


Overall, I think this product is okay if I'm using this only for quick cleaning in-between faces or before washing brushes. I use this to remove excess product first on my brush before I wash them to cut washing time in half. This I like though, plus there's tea tree oil to kill bacteria. This product works better though if I spray on the tissue or paper towel and then rub my brush through that part. Lipsticks, concealers, and foundation are quite difficult to remove too. I'd give this a 4/5.


Always remember to clean brushes after use to prolong their lives and to make sure they're bacteria and germ-free and the colors stay vibrant when applied.

No comments: