Friday, March 30, 2012

Swatching Viva Glam Nicki Minaj Lipstick


I love how artists and makeup brands agree to contribute to causes. When MAC confirmed that Nicki Minaj and Ricky Martin would be joining their list of celebrity spokespersons, we're all a wonder what the new Viva Glam shades would be that would definitely be as hot as Ricky shakes his bonbon. The Nicki Minaj shade didn't disappoint fanatics as I tried it on last Sunday from my friend who was really excited showing me her makeup stash.


The Nicki Minaj Viva Glam lipstick is as quirky and cheery as her candy-colored hair. It's very apt that just for Nicki, a color be super cute and happy as I always associate her with bright colors, LED lights, and super pastel and in-your-face hues. A neutral lippie just wouldn't do, right? Just like the new Viva Glam lipsticks, this one has got the Nicki Minaj signature etched on the tube holding the lipstick bullet.


MAC describes the shade as a "bright yellow pink" in a satin finish. The first Lady Gaga lipstick was a pink also in a lustre finish, if you remember it and as I have reviewed it, it functions better topped over an opaque color rather than on its own. Being a satin finish, the Nicki Minaj lippie is more pigmented, so it's nice to use this on its own. It's not really like a candy Barbie pink though like the other pinks I bought. This is a slightly warmer pink, a bright warmer one that could stand alone or flatter the face with a bit of peach gloss. I could say that it matches up more to the Cyndi Lauper in terms of how it brightens the whole face even on its own.

It's actually still a bright pink but not really like your stereotype cool blue-pink bright lipstick, but a warmer one. With just the right touch, I'd even recommend this for a bridal look toned down with a bit of coral or peach lipstick. Would I wear it? Yes I would. Do I recommend it to clients? Why not? It's quite a statement color so lazy daisies like me could get away with just this. The satin finish makes it stay put on the lips so color doesn't feather out much yet it's not as drying for those who would worry about their lips looking like the Sahara after.

The Viva Glam Ricky Martin and Nicki Minaj lippies are said to come out next month in the Philippines, to those who might be waiting.

No comments: