Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MAC Studio Sculpt at a Glance

While stocking up the store two weeks ago, a box of new products arrived. When I saw it, I got all excited as I found out that it was the much-awaited Studio Sculpt foundation, which arrived Manila's MAC counters a few weeks ago. It was already out in the US early this year. I got a sneak peek of it during the MAC workshop I attended last February and it seemed like a promising product. After trying it in the store on our clients and also on myself, I'd like to share with you my thoughts on it.


First of all, here's the outer appearance:

It comes in a tube-type plastic container (yay for Back-to-MAC), so it's lighter to carry and product is easily dispensed. It's easier to finish all the products since you could squeeze the tube to get the products out so there's less product wasting. The container is tall and slim, so I suggest storing these horizontaly.

For product swatching, here's my comparison of Studio Sculpt with Studio Fix and Mineralize Satinfinish liquid foundations:


I used NC15 here so you could really see the effect on my (originally) NC35 skin. On the left is Studiofix, center is Mineralize, and right is Studiosculpt. Studiofix is matte as compared to Mineralize, which had a glow. If you look closely when you swatch your own Mineralize foundations, you would see that it has a glow. Studiosculpt, on the right, is an in-between of Studiofix and Mineralize - it's not too glowy, but not too dry either. In fact, when I blended the foundation in, it mimics the texture of my skin, sort of molding to my skin. This is in fact, the makeup foundation recommended for high definition and TV makeup. I like how it didn't look too dry or too sheer. It gave the illusion of creamy skin.

Here, I used NC35, which is my skin color. I couldn't tell now the difference. My hand, actually looked "photo-edited".

It actually feels comfortable on the skin. If you're quite oily, I suggest applying little amount first, gradually building up the color. MAC recommends to use brush 191 (the square-type foundation brush) to apply this, but fingers and sponge would just do fine. As this is a creamy-type foundation (but not too heavy), it is best to set it with powder, either Studio Fix, Select Sheer, or the recommended loose transparent powder from the Prep + Prime line of MAC.

The concealer really is something, and the MAC guest artists did a test run of it at the tech rehearsals of Spring Awakening just today, and we could really attest to its staying power.

On the other hand, you can also watch this video I made of Mikee describing the Studio Sculpt line. I sort of ambushed Mikee on a weekday at the counter. I'm glad that the MAC Makati counter accomodated this interview despite a rather busy counter day. Thanks guys!



A little correction is that the concealer should be set with Mineralize Skinfinish powder with a 187 brush. :)

MAC Studio Sculpt foundation retails for Php 1,900 while the concealer is being sold for Php 950.

No comments: