Monday, July 22, 2019

Mark. Prism Lipstick Swatches and Review

I've gone through so many lipstick trends in my 12 years working as a makeup artist and even if I don't wear that much makeup anymore I still never fail to include maybe two lipsticks in my bag. I've gone through all the trends - mattes, lipglosses, sparkles, sheers, creamy, sheer, tint, and those super matte liquid lipsticks that were impossible to remove. As an artist, the staple in my kit is still the classic bullet formula - which could be chopped and placed in makeup palettes to save space in the pro kit as well as mixed to create a unique personalized shade.

When I was starting out 12 years ago, the "in" thing back then was the wet look kind of lip makeup - the shiny lipstick that you wore in layers giving the "wet" shine look making the lipstick look really glossy and shiny. It even had the diamond sparkle variation where the lips really sparkled because of the flecks of glitter. In photoshoots, it was the go-to look requested and I guess because it made the lips look healthier and plumper. The rule was the shinier, the better.  Add a lip plumper gloss and you instantly have the "just had a collagen injection" look. The downside to this look though it looked pretty in photos,  lipgloss can get sticky and sometimes hair would get stuck on the lips. The look faded away and mattes came back with a bang. However, as trends go they also have a comeback (just like the 90s 2 years ago). Sparkly lips are making a comeback again and they are just as pretty and thankfully are more comfy (i.e. less sticky) to wear.

On my birthday last month, I received a gift pack from Avon - their complete line of lipsticks - the Mark. Prism Lipsticks which give your lips not just shine but sparkle due to the 4000 prismatic pearls that make your lips look super dazzling with every swipe.

7 of the 10 shades of the mark. Prism Lipsticks to choose from
I did an unboxing of this as soon as it arrived as I was so excited. It arrived on my birthday and it was like a birthday gift at the door.

check out the embossed word "mark."
 This lipstick line has the fiercest hashtag ever: #makeanepicMARK resonating how we should never be apologetic with how we express ourself or explain our beauty habits or why we need the 10-step skincare or why did we just feel like wearing bright red lipstick. That message goes beyond beauty as well with our personal choices and passions. When we want to shine and shimmer, we do. We don't wish it but make it happen. Yes? yes. The case's color and how it sparkles reminds me so much of a sleek luxury car, doesn't it?

This line of lipsticks have various shades from nude to pink up to brights and dark ones. They also have you covered with the classic red. Unlike gloopy glosses from the 2000s, this one wasn't sticky. It actually felt like your moisturizing lipstick formulas with a cream finish. The shiny particles were a lot finer instead of chunks of glitter. On camera, chunks were less obvious and the swatches and color on lips actually looked just shiny and sometimes a bit sheer.

from L-R: Interstellar Love, Nude Eclipse, Celestial Crush, Aura On, Energy Flash, Blast Off, Reflective Scandal
My most favorite happens to be Nude Eclipse, which was a very basic shade that's flattering for any shade. It's like the nude lipstick that you don't need smoky eyes for and you could wear it with just brows and mascara. I also like that it doesn't travel much around the face so I end up with speckles and sparkles with glitter all over. 

wearing Celestial Crush for a TV Interview
(Coincidentally matching with my Lululemon top)
The runner up would be Celestial Crush, which is a cool pink shade which is also good on its own and some people, it could be the perfect MLBB shade (my lips but better). I wore it to my TV interview with ANC and since I was yoga teacher mode, I didn't put much makeup, just enough to make me look presentable as I was being filmed. It lasted through sips of water in between yoga cues. I didn't even need to retouch a lot when my turn came for the interview.


Buildable coverage:
Reflective Scandal: 1 coat (L) and 3 coats (R)
Nude Eclipse: 1 coat (L) and 3 coats (R)

The bold shades also do not disappoint, especially Reflective Scandal (a bright sparkly ruby red). As you can see in photos, it looks super shiny almost like a very pigmented gloss.

For a professional point-of-view, the sparkliness of the Mark. Prism Lipsticks work well at dance performances like recitals or dance gigs where the sparklier the better is key. They also work well for beauty pageants or special events. I would avoid this for bridal looks during the pre-ceremony, ceremony and close-up pictorials as for bridals, we still stick to neutral, safe, and classic palettes since we want the look to transcend time.

wearing a bright plum Blast Off with raspberry smoky eyes
because why not? 
For the reception or party look, however, she can change her look with sparkle, shimmer, and shine as she could now relax and party. Although this feels cushy on the lips, I would avoid using this on more mature clients as the shimmer particles may tend to settle on the lines and enhance them even more. For a mature client, I would use this with a satin or matte lipstick for a more youthful lip with the color not settling or feathering because of fine lines.

Since the lipstick has buildable coverage, this could be also be worn on top of a lipstick of the same shade as a gloss to create dimension. With the right lighting, this would create an amazing effect on editorials. It would also put good use of the matte lipsticks we hoarded by matching them up with sparkly lipsticks to create a shiny, shimmery, non-tacky lip of the day.

I personally like it because it is not as drying on the lips. The sparkly case also looks pretty for makeup flatlays when you do your posts or on your vanity kit. I like also the diversity of this collection with its 10 shades for us to choose from. I may try to mix up a nude shade with one of the bold shades too (try it! let me know which are good combos). Since they're a pretty good steal at Php 299 at avonshop.ph or if you have a friend or know someone who's an Avon rep, you could buy from them as well.



No comments: