Thursday, July 20, 2017

My Superfood Grocer Haul

Since I make my own food most of the time, I try to get the most out of what I eat. I let food be my medicine by eating good-quality food. I'm on the lookout for weekend markets that sell local produce at a fraction of the cost, bonus too for organic finds (I'm not super strict on the organic food, but I know and recognize that there are food that as much as possible we get organic such as greens, eggs, etc.). It makes meal prepping so much more fun because I'm working with a rainbow of high-quality ingredients.

I've been adding superfood to what I make.  Superfoods are food that will not turn me to a superhero but it is a fun (marketing) term used to describe food with health benefits that our body needs. I would like to think of it as getting nutrients from other food sources or to up the nutritional value of my food by sneaking in some other food sources. Popular superfood include chia seeds, quinoa, flax, etc. Since most superfoods are plant-based, it makes those with a plant-based diet or those with seafood allergy to still get nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids other than fish or seafood.

I already have food like chia seeds, flax, and quinoa in my stock so I thought I'd add more to my stash. Doing more research led me to the Superfood Grocer website, and I purchased a few products from their list which I would like to show you.

Superfood staples (L-R): Spirulina, Maca Power, Raw Cacao Nibs, and Chia Seeds

I purchased these items in separate days, since I purchased them through their dealer stores such as Rustan's Supermarket and The Green Company. For this time, I decided to go to the physical stores since I like seeing what I buy. Also, it's like making a little trip and discovering new places too where I can source out materials.

Chia Seeds, Php350 (1/2 lb)  and  Php625 (1 lb)
 I really use chia seeds  and they are practically in almost all of  my breakfasts. Chia contains fiber, protein, and omega-3. They are fun to work with. When you soak them, they form a jelly-like coating that thickens up smoothies.


Use chia seeds to make coconut-chia pudding. Just add some mangoes and you have a dessert that reminds you of a popular Thai dessert. Added to overnight oats, it gives you that thick, creamy consistency.  One bag of chia seeds last really long for me (unless you make chia pudding everytime), since a tablespoon is more than enough for topping for my granola or oatmeal already.



You can take a cue from my friend Jinky, where she placed chia seeds on her Bayani Brew drink. It adds an interesting texture and keeps you fuller so you don't go mindlessly snacking throughout the day.

Raw Cacao Nibs, Php 225 (1/2 lb) and Php 395 (1 lb)

Cacao nibs are quite interesting because they look and taste like dark chocolate. These bits that look (and taste) like chocolate-covered raisins contain magnesium and manganese as well as iron. They also contain antioxidants that the body needs to fight free radicals.


Mix these in oatmeal or your granola and yogurt or have a few when you're craving for chocolate. I purchased a small packet of cacao nibs from a different brand a while back, but they were a bit too nutty and bitter for me. This one, since they are coated with raw sugar are a bit yummier and sweeter. You can actually include them in homemade trail mixes you can take when you want a snack wherever.


Maca Power, Php 850 (1/2 lb), and Php 1,600 (1 lb)
I'm actually curious about Maca Power because it practically contains everything I needed in my life right now plus there were so much good reviews about it. Sleep is important. It's the body's natural way of repairing itself.  I've actually planned my day and my life that I should get proper amount of sleep every single day. Since working out is practically my job and my life right now, I need faster recovery so I don't run on empty batteries and an injured body. All you need is 1/2 teaspoon blended into your smoothies, juices, oatmeal, etc. It also doesn't interfere with the taste of my smoothies. Actually, with life so busy and running on instant and fast paced and all these Facebook statuses that I read of people running on coffee, 2 hours of sleep and ready to beast mode at work, we should have this all the time. It's been a week of taking my Maca Powder (I add it to my smoothies and oatmeal). I haven't had coffee the entire week and I have this steady energy like I supercharged my fire meridians. I don't have broken sleep (like being interrupted midway). My sleep is steady and I constantly wake up at 5:00 a.m. every single day. It's like being a car getting VIP tune-up service every single time.

Spirulina, Php 400 (1/4 lb), Php 700 (1/2 lb), and Php 1,300
What actually got me wanting to purchase a packet of spirulina was because it gives a pretty blue color for my smoothies and colored pasta. This spirulina however, is more a deep blue-green color rather than navy blue. However, even though it didn't color my pasta or smoothie to a blue color, it's still worth it to have some spirulina present. Spirulina in the highest known natural protein source.  It has the highest concentration of protein per gram compared to any food on the planet. Any food, yes, that includes protein from animal sources and the yucky monggo. It contains powerful antioxidants, aids in quick recovery and for breastfeeding mommies who are getting umay with eating 25,745 malunggay (moringa) leaves in all forms (including in yucky monggo soup). I have this in smoothies and smoothie bowls. I even made fresh pasta with spirulina.

I do have to warn you though, that spirulina, since it comes from algae, may have an initial fishy smell. However, those who tasted it says it tastes like seaweed or nori. I'm thinking of adding this to my vegan puttanesca sauce next time as an alternative for anchovies.

The Superfood Grocer website has the most complete listing of food we could include to stock up our pantries. I'm eyeing on the camu camu berry on my smoothie next time as well as chlorella. They also have starter packs for those who want to get started on including superfood in their system. The website has all their products but if you are like me and like looking at the actual product before buying, they also have partner stores listed in their site. The groceries though like Landmark, Rustan's, and Robinsons contain just the quinoa, chia seeds, flax, coconut sugar, and cacao nibs. For the maca power and spirulina, you may have to go to organic food stores. Next time, I shall try ordering online. If you're at a loss on how to incorporate them in food, the website also has (plant-based) recipes for you to try.

I've got so much ideas now on my smoothie bowls and juices and I always look forward to making breakfast and meals supercharged with superfood. If you have an idea, let me know how to use them.


Store Directory

The Superfood Grocer
www.thesuperfoodgrocer.com; facebook.com/TheSuperfoodGrocer; instagram.com/thesuperfoodgrocer

The Green Company
San Juan: 17-D DPL Bldg, M. Paterno St., San Juan. (02) 5315201;
QC: 920 Banawe St. Brgy Manresa, QC (02) 3512982
Pasig: Ground Floor, Ace Plaza Hotel and Suites, United St. cor. Brixton St., Kapitolyo, Pasig (02) 9416165
facebook.com/thegreencompanyorganic; instagram.com/thegreencompany

No comments: