Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Everyone, Meet Burt!

If you follow my Instagram account or are friends with me in Facebook, aside from my work, or me twisting into knots, or inverted on a pole, I post my little critter friends, particularly cats and most especially, the cat we adopted two years ago, Candy (who turned out to be a boy, so he's actually a he) and from that skinny poor cat he became this fat squishable fluffy huge giant cat:


We've been considering getting another kitten so Candy won't be too lonely when we're out and also to give him a playmate so he can have a bit of exercise. A kitten would be good so he won't get intimidated and knowing he's a gentle giant, he won't physically be brutal to the kitten. I believe though that the perfect opportunity will come up, just like what Candy did, how he turned to be the perfect and low-maintenance well-behaved cat he is now.

A few months earlier, one of our usual stray friends, Princess (we theorized to be Candy's little sister) passed away and left behind her newborn kittens. We originally wanted an orange female kitten as our next one and among the five kittens in her litter, adopted one and named her Nutmeg. They were probably about a week old. However, a sad twist of fate happened. Nutmeg passed away a few days after we adopted her. Apparently, she had an anatomical condition that made her unable to poop. It was a very sad day for us when we buried our little girl. We were offered to adopt her other sister instead but we thought we'd wait out for a stronger kitten. Nutmeg's sister eventually got adopted though by another family.


We miss you Nutmeg, run free to the Rainbow Bridge.

The weeks following Nutmeg's passing was difficult and although I had lots of engagements that time, it was hard to accept that our little Nutmeg was gone. A lot told me, even cat experts and vets said that orphaned kittens barely 2 months old have very low risk of survival, since they have not been weaned properly and some may even be born with anatomical defects. Deep in me, I knew that there will be a kitten that would be perfect for adoption, just don't know when. I even went to a phase where I would have the urge to pluck a cute orange kitten off the streets. Of course, that would be like doing a rebound, so I had to restrain myself. Maybe a kitten would just walk our way.

Quite amusingly, that's exactly how it happened a month later. I was buying food at the neighborhood store when I saw a kitten pass by. It wasn't orange though but when I went near the kitten and reached out my hand, it didn't hesitate and allowed me to pet him (yep, it's a boy). I had some food in my bag, which he ate although he wasn't much of a fan of kibble. He liked tuna though when I ran to the house to get some. Since that day was the eve of my birthday, I named the kitten Burt. Burt wasn't a female orange cat but he's a really sweet kitten who loves people and would really play with you. We bonded instantly. Every day, I'd meet him in his spot where I would have some food for him then we'd play. He allows me to carry and hug him.

At the back of my head, I was considering adopting Burt, but I wasn't so sure. Friends were telling me that he might be a good match for Candy since he's an older kitten plus he can put up a fight and won't easily be intimidated by Candy. I thought I'd keep him on probation first and see what happens. If I start falling in love with this cat, then it's a sign to go on. Well, I did. And one time, after our usual playtime, Burt followed me home, all the way inside our apartment. 

Of course Candy, being the cat who's been here longer, fought for dominance. It was funny because he would just try to be bigger and then whack Burt and then run away. There was no bleeding, just whacking, Burt hissing and peeing on himself. I thought of the first few days of Burt entering the house was bringing a regular playmate for Candy. I'd clean him up first and then I'd notice their interaction, then when it was time for me to go to work or somewhere, I'd let Burt out of the house and then when I would come home, I'd pick him up and bring him back home and clean him up. Whenever he's out, that would be the time that he would get to poop and pee. Candy also mellowed down on his attacks and from the looks of it, he just wanted to play.


There were no more Candy's tail fluffing up. He was actually becoming more playful. Burt would hide at the bottom of the couch though. It's still a week though but now the two boys can be in the same place without trying to whack each other's butts. We would still let Burt out during the day when we're out but when I get home he's right by the place where I meet him and I'd carry him back home. Since the past few nights have been raining, we let Burt sleep in our house, where it's dry and warm. Burt was still on probationary status but we were enjoying his cuddles and hugs. If he would go out though, we would have to clean and wash him up thoroughly. 

Cat catchers would mysteriously show up in our condo complex (they're really not into TNR and me and my cat-friendly neighbors have gotten memos re feeding cats) as I've noticed that some of our kitty stray friends have been disappearing. Fearful that the same fate would happen to Burt, we had Burt stay 100% indoors to keep him safe. Then, as we all fell in love with Burt, we decided to adopt him as our own. 

Candy still tries to catch Burt's attention though, even while Burt is doing his business. They're sharing litterbox though, since we have a huge one. We're hopeful that from being civil and Candy trying to be clingy and play, They would end up hugging and loving. They are both eating normal and fine, Burt with KMR and kibble and Candy has his special Urinary s/o diet. 


As a milestone, Burt already had his first bath and also his first visit to the vet. The doctors and handlers at VIP Mandaluyong found him super adorable. Burt is very healthy, just a bit thin since he's newly-rescued. He had his ears cleaned already and dewormed. He will be scheduled for shots soon by Dr. Richard, VIP's house call vet and would be neutered when he turns 6 months (currently, he's 3 months old) 



So officially, Burt is now our cat, and Candy's new little brother. He may not be the initial peg next cat for us being a gray and white cat but this little boy won our hearts. It may be because he followed me home, or he snuggled up to me as I was reading. It may be that both cats still function normally eating and drinking the same. Or my anxiety when I'd let him out that finally made Burt our third cat. Nutmeg will still be his big sister, now an angel watching over her pet parents, big brother, and little brother. 

Expect a lot more fun and furbabies in my future posts, and a kitteh or two sneaking in my photos.





No comments: