Sunday, December 7, 2014

This whole weekend has probably been more eventful for most of us... some of us are at the middle of Christmas shopping and probably stuck in traffic somewhere or attending lots of events - weddings and Christmas parties.Despite a storm threatening once again to pound the country, mall parkings are still full and weddings still push through.

This weekend, I wore three different hats - cook, makeup artist, and pole dancer, which put me in a very giddy mood to power a bit of sunshine in me. As sunshines have been alluded with a lot of happy and positive, inspiring things, I'm hoping that this will fuel positive energy which I'll be needing this week.

Both days I started early. Saturday morning was a mini-brekkie get-together with me and two of my pole friends. It was quite random, really. I've been posting a lot of my food creations in Instagram and somehow a "brekko party" was in the works and made into reality.



For breakfast, my philosophy is that, it's okay to have a heavy brekkie because we will need all that fuel for energy that day. I know Oliver's favorite food is eggs benedict and I found a recipe for truffled eggs benedict online. I also made three kinds of French toast - strawberries and cream, Nutella, banana, pecan, and PB&J, which are honestly, recipes that I was constructing from my head as I was staring at the inside of the fridge, They loved the spread of sinful food I made, and I think that truffled eggs benendict deserves a repeat in my brekko table.

Our breakfast probably ended around lunchtime (Ladies Who Lunch ang peg? Hahahaha) and we headed off for the rest of our own Saturdays. I had work at around 3 at Serendra so I grabbed a quick light lunch of soup and salad before heading off. I'll be having work the following day so my yin yogi self knew well not to stay out night.



My client for Sunday morning is my friend from high school, Ria. We interact a lot in Facebook since we have a common ground (i.e. cats, and you know how cat people are) but even that there was a lot still to talk and catch up on. Sharing the same philosophy on beauty makeup, I updated my usual formula of makeup transformation to ground it with a balance of still making whoever I'm doing makeup on still look like her and not look too transformed.

From Eastwood, I had to fly to Ortigas for a 3pm workshop by Marion Crampe. Marion Crampe is this amazing, amazing lovely pole champion who travels the world performing, teaching, competing, and just being this passionate, loving person that she is.



 She's not crazy, guys, she's passionate. I had the pleasure of meeting her last year in the Pole Stars Workshop but I wasn't able to take a workshop under her (I just took workshops under Steven Retchless and Nadia Shariff). This year, I made it a point to take her workshop. I took her Flexibility workshop, a one-hour workshop to work on our bendiness the smart way. I really like how she teachers. It's fun and she gives you key points you wound want to remember. These key points I found really useful not in pole but also in my other physical activities like yoga, HIIT, and dance (yes, I am learning dance, and dance language. more of that later).

a. Take care of your back. in backbends, The misconception is like jerking or crunching the back. While this technique may look pretty in photos, it's actually very dangerous. Work on your hip flexors and shoulders. I found this really helpful. I have a bendy back, and I really tend to jerk it or crunch it, causing compression. However, I have moody shoulders, which I must work on. Working on hips flexors and shoulders is safer.
b. Vary your training. One day, do strength, then work on bendiness, maybe floorwork on another day, and then one day, probably target one area like core or arms, That way, you also don't get bored and your training is balanced. Case in point strength and flexibility. We need our strength to help us recover in flexibility. We need strong core to protect our backs.
c. Rest. For the love of whatever divine being you hold dear to your heart, rest! Our body deserves to rest and recover. I learned this in Yin Yoga, and this is echoed in pole dancing. A weekly massage may be expensive luho to most of us, but injuries are more expensive, and also, a lot of hassle. The body needs time to rest and repair, So during competition season when training is intense and hellish, sleep at night, take a day to rest, or do yin yoga. your body will be able to perform better.

The workshop was challenging too. I mean okay, I thought I was already bendy to begin with, but there's still a range soon to be reached. I need to work on my strength. And also, I learned how to be bendy the right way, which can prolong my pole stay more, so I won't be like those horror stories that were gone from the sport due to injury. It also improves lines, like squaring splits and better shoulder flexibility.



I love Marion! Her passion is contagious.

You know that light happy mood you have after that fulfilling day or week even though you're tired? Yes, there are brushes to be washed and I think my hip flexors will experience delayed onset muscle soreness tomorrow but I just have this awesome feeling from all the good vibes. I usually get all grumpy-cat mode each time rain comes, and developed a phobia when rain pours, much more that there's a typhoon. Maybe I can make this positive energy channel good vibes.

Okay, I know positive energy would not physically be able to improve weather conditions. I am no superhero, and let's be realistic. But rather than let the gloominess of the weather dampen our mood, maybe I can help create a figurative sunshine from within me, by channelling this positive energy. Remember how like when we're moody or grumpy, it just affects everything else, like how food tastes, our decisions, our actions, and so on? Or just how a bad happening just diminishes a good mood? What if positive energy turns things around? What if I use this good mood and maybe, with that, my day won't be dampened and maybe I can actually make better decisions, or think clearly.

Aside from staying dry and safe, maybe I'll let my sunshine from within help me with what's about to come, like how I can handle it better with clearer thoughts.

This was written in my cup lid when I ordered my drink from Coffee Bean And Tea Leaf  Ortigas Park just this afternoon while waiting for my workshop.



These little notes can be cute, sometimes hits you in the spot just right. I kinda felt like Supergirl after though, Let's all stay safe and dry, and take the necessary precautions, and despite this weather condition, let us still face the coming days head on with a clear mind and let this little sunshine we have created in us guide us through this week, and maybe spread this sunshine to others. As Marion's passion is contagious, let our sunshine be as well.







No comments: