Monday, October 16, 2017

Why I Put Myself in a No-Buy Makeup Challenge (and tips that can get you started too)

There comes a time when I asked myself if I really need that much makeup. Lately, I've been evaluating my rituals and observed that my routine has been simplified singificantly. I'm practically makeup-less most of the time since I spend most of my days teaching or practicing, and I really tend to sweat a lot. I used to surprise people when I appear without makeup. Now, people actually get surprised whenever I wear even just red lipstick.

Back then,  I kept justifying my makeup shopping as being a makeup artist, I need a whole lot because I work on different people with different looks and I need a separate stash for myself, one for clients, and one for practice sessions. Looking now at how my makeup collection has blown up to gigantic proportions that definitely needs intervention, I need to put myself in a makeup shopping ban, which I started at the beginning of the month. It's been a few weeks into this month and it has been quite liberating. Besides, even the busiest pro artists are also trimming down their kits.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much makeup
(Photo by Alfred Mendoza)
This No-Makeup Buying or Makeup Shopping Ban or No-Buy Ban has been going around for quite some time. Some girls I know are on that challenge (like for a year even) and there are some girls who even blogged about their own challenges to motivate them. There are those who even upped the challenge by including a Project Pan challenge, where they not only not buy new makeup but they have to empty out palettes or hit pan before buying anything new. The description of this ban is exactly what the name means: that I do not buy any makeup for a certain period of time (I'm doing a few months. I will see how my life fares after the first month. So far, I'm not foaming at the mouth yet). This, however does not include the makeup I buy for gifts to friends and loved ones or if I need to really replenish something (like I ran out of toner, sunblock, mascara, etc). This also does not include makeup that I receive as presents, presskits, or gifts (but before I get started, I will not ask for makeup as Christmas gift to go around this loophole).

I admit the first few days was hard especially when there are new collections coming out left and right just in time for the holidays. I actually thought that by the first week I might go into like a shocking withdrawal phase especially when I see all the reviews coming up. However, after getting over the first few days of withdrawal phase, I can now walk at the beauty section of the department store with a straight face and not even care or leave with a bag of purchases. I think back to what a blogger said after her challenge - that she ended up saving a lot of money. And more money in your bank account is a good thing, right?

So I thought as well, that while I'm in this no-buy challenge, I also learn to maximize what's in my current collection. I throw in a bit of a modified Project Pan challenge. This encourages me to appreciate what I have and challenges me to be more creative with my stuff - learn how to mix, be more resourceful and creative. Oooh now my mind can do somersaults - just like what I do in real life.

Now how did I survive the first month without foaming at the mouth or breaking into a hysteria everytime I'm in the beauty section of a deparment store? Here are tips that can work:

Empty out what you don't need

You might have had a clumpy mascara there in your kit, or lipsticks that have turned rancid. Throw out expired items and give away items that are still good but something you don't really need or like or probably just bought out of a whim.

Have a buddy

My friend Azaza is on a Project Pan challenge. She has a palette of the month where she uses to play around looks. Having a friend who's into this challenge or something similar gets you motivated. Instead of seeing this as a punishment, I'm seeing this as an opportunity to also get creative, exploring colors I don't usually use and looks to do because let's admit, we all have a go-to look.

Look for Dupes in Your Kit

Sometimes, when a collection comes up, they're actually just recycling old shades and repackaging them in new limited edition packaging. That super duper limited edition lipstick which costs like a week's worth of coffee may have a very similar shade that exists in your kit. Hey, when the color is on your lips, no one would know the brand.

Stop, Breathe, and Think


Sometimes when we buy, it's usually on an impulse. Think if you really need it or if you're just after the hype. Read reviews or watch vlogs first before buying, even super limited editions. If the product suddenly becomes out of stock because you didn't buy in a heartbeat, it's okay. You will survive without it. At least you are a few hundred (or thousand) bucks richer.

Have an encouraging goal

Think that for the money you save, you have money to for a trip or for a class you would want to take. I'm telling myself that the money I get to save can be used for future masterclasses, workshops, and teacher training programs. Education is an investment with no expiration date. Remember, you are not doing this to punish yourself.

Document your progress

It's like pole dancing where you take photos of your progress. If it helps to blog about it, then go. You can even blog together with your co-shopping ban buddy so you can monitor each other's progress. Post photos of the palettes you used that hit pan or the creative looks you come up with from the palettes. Sometimes when a goal is out there, people are more encouraged to stick to their goals because other people are watching.

Two weeks into this ban and so far I'm doing great. I'll let you know my progress. If you are in this no-shopping ban too, let me know your tips on how to get going on this challenge.

No comments: