Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Pantry Staples to Overhaul Your Food

I thought before that my unlimited resources to exercise could be an excuse for me to unli-eat whatever. Like I can beast mode my workout and then eat platefuls of steak and cake after. Actually I found this working against me because I found myself being very sluggish the next day or so stuffed that I couldn't even peel myself off the couch or daybed. When I took the test to find out how much calories I should actually be consuming for maintenance for someone with high physical activity and physically demanding job, turns out I don't need much. In fact, for my body type, it was actually less than 2,500 calories. Also, it wasn't just the calories. It was also the type of food you put in your mouth. A bag of chips contains 160 calories. Blogilates' Healthy Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich has 260 calories. If you look at it, the bag of chips may be less in calories that the ice cream cookie sandwich but the chips contain a lot of sodium, chemicals, and stuff our body does not need as compared to the all-natural goodness from the bananas and oats. Which of you think would be a better snack alternative when you want something to munch on in the afternoon? I would think the cookie. When I really started incorporating better food and being really diligent with my meal preps (it does take time but the results are worth it and think of how much money you save on!) there is a total difference with my energy, my performance, and even how I recover to avoid injuries and prolong my fitness life more.

So with that, let's talk meal prep. I do my bi-weekly meal prep where I shop for veggies and ingredients and set aside an afternoon or a few hours before going to bed to cook. Since I'm so engrossed in the kitchen, there's less time to drown myself in social media drama (and gadget overdose migraine). It's like magic you're doing and you're making and getting really good food to last you for days. You can start with very easy, uncomplicated recipes that look good just as they taste good. If you get your groove, you can go and look for more advanced recipes. Just don't starve yourself or suffer eating bland food. If you look at my #bambikittycooks, you will never see yucky, dry, tasteless food. For me, it's just not worth it if you cry with every bite of your food or start hating life and the world halfway through this trend diet you tried out because this celebrity was on it and lost a lot of weight. Just eat a balanced diet. Results are better. You may see results a bit slower than extreme trend diets, but you won't hate life as much.


If you want to get into prepping, here are some basic staples in my shopping cart in the market or supermarket


Rolled Oats

I used to buy steel-cut and rolled oats but now I just stick to rolled since steel-cut is quite hard to find in the grocery. I get one big bag. Rolled oats are very versatile  not just in oatmeal or overnight oats. You can make granola, add them on to home-baked breads, bake cookies, or just grind them up and you have oat flour for pancakes, crepes, and all the refined flour-free recipes you would want to try. You can even blend them in smoothies for yummy brekkies on-the-go.


Low-Fat Milk and Nut Milk

My stomach can't tolerate full cream milk as it is. If I have it, I'd feel bloated and grumbly the entire day. However, I discovered low-fat milk to be friendlier to my tummy and I use this to make panna cotta, breads, or puddings. For overnight oats, smoothies, or on my little cup of hot chocolate or golden turmeric milk, I prefer almond milk or soymilk. I get my creamy fix without the bloating and bathroom trips feeling like I'm about to give birth to Godzilla.


Yogurt

Savory yogurt: used yogurt as dressing for my salad
Yogurt has the essential probiotics we need for a healthy gut. Yogurt isn't just for granola and parfaits. I use yogurt to make tzatziki or in salad dressings. They can also be an alternative to sour cream in your burrito or tacos.Regular plain yogurt is fine but if you can get Greek yogurt for protein, so much the better. For vegans, coconut yogurt is also a good alternative. You can find coconut yogurt at the Salcedo Saturday Market every morning.


Brown Rice/Quinoa

This is a healthier alternative to white rice. Quinoa is an excellent protein source (perfect for after workout). I like that this makes me full faster so that I don't consume as much to leave me feeling like I ate a hollow block. A cheaper alternative would be brown rice or black rice.


Honey

As much as possible, I like honey that's pure with no added sugars. Honey that's pure is golden in color instead of brown, kind of like liquid gold. I use honey to sweeten smoothies, overnight oats, make energy balls, or just take it as it is.


Eggs

organic eggs. happy chickens make happy eggs
I prefer organic eggs from cage-free chickens. Have you seen commercial chicken coops? The chickens are enclosed in small cages with very little space to move and are just made to lay eggs. Such a stressful environment! When I found out that they throw baby chicks in the shredder when they do not meet the standards, I do not want to buy from commercial big farms anymore at the thought of these poor babies! I prefer happy chickens for happy, nutrient-loaded eggs raised in small farms. I buy my eggs from Down To Earth where native chickens enjoy the sunshine and their lives free from hormones and antibiotics.


Good-Quality Meats



I love Down To Earth because their livestock and poultry are raised humanely and are fed the food they should eat. Beef are grass-fed. I buy their ground beef for my ragu. I don't smell any distinct raw meat smell and I don't need a lot of salt to season my ground beef. I haven't tried their steaks but I bet I would love the steak from grass-fed cows. Aside from high-quality meats, I also buy omega-3 rich salmon and seafood.


Bananas

Bananas are a staple in a fit person's diet. Notice some gyms always have bananas in stock? They're pretty convenient. No need for knives before eating. Freeze bananas and they make excellent smoothies or vegan "nice" cream. Are your bananas getting old already? Make banana bread!


VCO and Olive Oils

These are oils that I can't live without... literally! I use VCO to cook and bake (I get something neutral-tasting but somehow, the coconut-y summery taste enhances the flavor of certain dishes). Olive oils are what make my pastas, pita breads, foccacia breads,  and stews so awesome. I use regular olive oil for cooking and EVOO to make salads, spreads, raw sauces like pesto sauces, and my hummus. Contrary to some beliefs, I'm not afraid of fat. Just like everything, just not have too much of it.


Leafy Greens and Vegetables (lots of them!)


eat a rainbow - with lots of plant-based nutrients
Aside from salads, I sneak in leafy greens in smoothies (great way to use this when they're getting a bit mushy). I also stir-fry kale or spinach and make this a siding for my salmon and brown rice meal.  Always find ways to add veggies to your diet. They make life awesome, and your poop trips so much easier.


Lemon



Lemon adds a tangy flavor to most dishes. Make fresh lemonade during the summer or have a warm cup of lemon water in the morning to jump start your metabolism. Lemon is one staple ingredient when I make hummus for that tangy, citrusy lift in flavor.


Nuts

packaged nuts and dried fruit from Salcedo Market
For the house, I usually have pecans, walnuts, almonds, and cashews. You can add nuts to granola or cereal or you can make your own nut milks. Add some crunch to your salads with chopped cashews and kung pao chicken. Nuts can be used also to make energy balls, homemade nut butters, or if you want, homemade nut (vegan) cheeses.


Frozen Berries

When not in season, I get my strawberries frozen, which are excellent for smoothies, overnight oats, or puddings. Since blueberries are not available locally and the fresh ones can get really expensive, I buy frozen blueberries for my blueberry pancakes or smoothies.


Chia seeds

These fun little things are excellent plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. I use these as topping for my granola yogurt parfait, champorado, overnight oats, smoothies, smoothie bowls, and even make dessert with them. When they expand, they form a gelatinous coating just like sago.


White Vinegar

Aside from making a mean, flavorful adobo, I use white vinegar to make buttermilk for pancakes and waffles for happy, carby, cheat day treats. White vinegar has also awesome uses not just for cooking. Use this in washing strawberries to prevent them from being moldy and yucky or use white vinegar to remove soap scum, clean your fridge, clean your coffee maker and diffuser, make DIY natural house cleaners, and neutralize pet odors. It's practically an all-around kitchen-to-home solution!


Hopefully a little shift and changes here and there can get you happy and healthy eating. In a few weeks of putting good stuff, you would definitely notice a change in your energy and maybe you may feel better in getting yourself started for the day.



Image Sources:

Bananas and Grocery 
pexels.com

Meats
Down To Earth https://www.instagram.com/downtoearthph/


Store Directory:

Down To Earth
Makati Curb Holdings, No. 7433 Ground Floor, Unit J, Yakal St., San Antonio Village, Makati City; 
http://www.downtoearth.ph/; instagram.com/downtoearthph

Salcedo Saturday Market
Jaime Velasquez St., Tordesillas St., Salcedo Village
Saturdays 7:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

No comments: