Monday, September 24, 2018

Platform 1094: A Taste of Hogwarts In Asia

I'm a Harry Potter fan. The magic still lives on even after reading the books. I would re-read them and watch the movies and they would still have the same effect. There's something about the novels and the entire  universe that makes it practically immortal and ageless - it appeals to young children and adults. It also comes alive in your imagination. I would joke that it's the only book series I ever enjoyed since I'm not a book person.

If a trip to the Harry Potter theme parks in Osaka or London is still a bit of a stretch, you can have your Hogwarts fix in Asia because there is a Harry Potter-themed restaurant in Singapore and it's called Platform 1094 (sounds like a train stop, right?). I was able to have a visit there during my recent Singapore trip (yaay for a 2018 #kittiesinSG).

The benches reminded me of the Great Hall
The chairs gave a pub-ish vibe like The Three Broomsticks
I think inspired from Platform 9-3/4, Platform 1094 is named as such because of its address - 1094 Serangoon Road. If you are coming from the Bencoolen station, take the Downtown Line (Blue line) to Geylang Bahru MRT Station. From there, it's a 14-minute walk from Geylang Bahru to Serangoon Road (you can also reach Geylang Bahru from the Little India Station by taking the North East Line). There are also routes via Google Maps, so depending on your location and mode to get by, either bus, Grab, or train. The location is more suburb, say a very residential. So if your air BNB is in the city, it's like going from Makati to say, Paranaque or Maginhawa and it's a really cute tiny resto and yes, they have WiFi so feel free to IG your stay there.

Oh, so that's my notebook! 

It was actually like a mixture of what The Three Broomsticks, a common room, and a mini Great Hall would look like. There were props to pose and play with as well as murals on the wall.

I had my dolls pose with the props on the shelves

The Legos, glasses, and books are the resto's own.

Dany with her fellow dollies.
Following her yet? She and her friends have Instagram.
The best part also were actually the cloaks, scarves, and hats that you could pose for a magical OOTD.

Look, Professor Slughorn! I fit!
Also, in Hogwarts Southeast Asia we can wear shorts 
I actually waited to have a full-on Slytherin gear because Slytherin is my Hogwarts house according to Pottermore (also I love Slytherin. I am not making things up).

a bird of paradise (svarga dvijasana) with tight legs from walking 

my "Hogwarts Letter"
I pretended that I got my Hogwarts letter after so many years. The envelope actually just holds the menu, printed in very Daily Prophet-ish fashion. So you can don Hary Potter-like glasses and pretend you are reading the Daily Prophet when you are actually deciding on what to eat.

Truffle Fries
I guess this is one theme restaurant that did not disappoint on food, because the food was pretty good. We were truffle fans so we ordered truffle fries and we could actually smell the truffle from the kitchen. There were also Spam fries but they tasted like Ma-Ling so I wasn't into it. But the truffle fries were a win at SGD10.

Saffron Pan-Seared Salmon
They serve real food such as pasta, salad, and mains. For my omega-3 fix, I got Saffron Pan-Seared Salmon (SGD 18), which was also a bestseller. This yumminess is served with beetroot mashed potatoes and topped with crushed herbs, saffron cream sauce, and came with a side of sauteed veggies. I actually finished the big plate, maybe because I walked to the point of crawling in hunger.

Flexi Frog pre-fancy fog effect
I wanted to complete the experience ordering a wizardy-drink. Platform 1094 has got a selection of wines, beers, coffee, teas, and potions (non-alcoholic smoothies and butterscotch ales), and poisons (alcoholic). It was still early on the day so I chose a potion called Flexi Frog. The name also called to the hip-opening yoga teacher that I am. It was actually just a nice and cold green tea drink served in a flask. It even came with a tiny cauldron with tiny pellets of dry ice to place inside the drink (using a cute spoon) for a foggy effect.


I waited for the dry ice to be gone before drinking it. It was pretty refreshing. I dunno if it would help with my splits but it sure helped as it was a hot day.


They will be one reason to come back
Sadly we didn't have room for dessert but they had pretty good desserts in the menu. Their bestsellers are the Sweet Treats of the Wizardry World (SGD 12), the Chocolate Blackout (SGD 7.5), and Tea By Lupicia Infused Cake (SGD 7.5).The desserts were in the shapes of spellbooks and the golden snitch. I guess it means I am due for another Platform 1094 so I can sample out their sweets and coffee.

I really recommend coming in groups or in pairs here so you can sample out the dishes and have someone take your Hogwarts-inspired photo. Just take note of their hours as they are closed on Mondays. Weekdays are 11 am to 10 pm and they open on weekends 10 am and still close at 10 pm. Aside from mains, desserts, and coffee, you can have tapas and drinks here. One of their best poisons is the Mr. Lich's Flaming Brew (SGD 15), which is a platform secret recipe.

Is it a place I would come back? Yes it is. Would I recommend it to my Harry Potter - faney friends? Yes. Will I eat the dessert? Of course I will.


No comments: