Thursday, November 9, 2017

No 'Poo Hair Care

My hair and scalp went haywire and this was due to an overabundance of chemical buildup on my scalp from chemical treatments, residues, as well as dirt and sweat. Aside from dry, parchy hair, my scalp was in an embarassing state of flaking and I would see some red, irritated patches. It would also itch and sometimes, I would see rough eczema patches on my left ear and my neck. I planned to color my hair for the Holidays but with my hair in this situation, hair color might make it worse. So just like being supersaturated with the toxicity of social media that we unfollow, my hair had to go on forced detox.

This detox didn't mean that I should stop washing my hair because that would be gross. So what to use to clean my hair? DIY 'poo-free shampoo, meaning a shampoo that's free of sulfates, silicones, and all these chemicals my hair is already quota na with. You can make your own shampoo with a few things. Some of them can even be found in your own kitchen such as apple cider vinegar, olive oil, VCO, water (distilled), baking soda, lemon juice, etc. As natural as it can get with ingredients that are easily pronounced and uncomplicated.

For my DIY chemical-free shampoo, I googled recipes with ingredients that are not hard to find. I found a recipe that uses castile soap. Since castile soap would be too harsh for my colored hair, I found another soap/shampoo base alternative - Coconut Oil soap, which I purchased from Naoe, a local online shop that sells raw materials to make your own DIY home and body care products. Coconut oil soap can both be used as soap/shower gel and shampoo. The ingredients for this soap base are just water, coconut oil, and vegetable glycerin.

Naoe essential oils  for my DIY products, prouldy local
To make my no 'poo shampoo smell better, I use essential oils, which made my hair product (and other things I can make on my own) smell better and more spa-like Even before essential oils became a thing, I've been using them just in my air purifier or burning them in my oil burner (I got one as a wedding favor from a wedding that I did many years ago). It was mostly for aromatherapy really but I didn't know these oils had awesome uses aside from smelling good. Naoe also has essential oils (starting at Php 180) but you can also purchase essential oils from Ilog Maria, which is also the same that they use to make their soaps.

DIY shower gel ingredients
The procedure to make this is simple. All I had to do was combine coconut oil soap base, almond oil (or jojoba oil) for moisture,  lemon EO, rosemary EO, and peppermint EO (peppermint feels so good and soothing on my scalp. Not to mention I smell like a Christmas candy cane after). Topped this with distilled water and gave it a good shake and I'm ready with my shampoo. I sometimes follow up with an ACV rinse (a 1:1 ratio of apple cider vinegar and distilled water) to balance the pH of my scalp. If there's no ACV, a squeeze of lemon or juice from two calamansi would do the trick just fine. I actually prefer the latter because the ACV smell still lingers even though very mildly.

We can purchase bottles to store our DIY care from Beabi, True Value, or The Oil Lifestyle. The Oil Lifestyle also has mini funnels (Php 18 for a pack of 2) if you would want to make small batches of these products. 

going hipster with pastel labels
A little over a week into this and I've noticed that my scalp does not itch even if I didn't wash it in the morning. There's no more eczema on my hairline and ear and the flakes slowly disappeared as the days went on. My hair doesn't have that gross "hasn't been washed" smell or feel. I do not itch after a workout, even a sweaty Corewell session. Also, less hairfall when I brush or blow dry my hair.

a literal I-woke-up-like-this look daily
There's one con to this DIY product though: How my hair feels. It may smell really great and my scalp and ears are so behaved but my hair was in a state of stickiness. I thought I totally murdered my hair at the expense of my scalp but when I googled about it, it was actually a period of my hair detoxing and going through a withdrawal phase from all the chemicals it has been used to -all the silicon coatings, the chemical buildup, and my scalp producing more sebum than it should thinking my hair is so dry. It does go away though.

To make me look less like Professor Snape, I periodically brush my hair to redistribute the oils so they don't get stuck at the roots. This made my hair look smoother and shinier instead of taong grasa waves. Blowdrying in a cool setting also helps it "set" better after a shower. If I still look horrible, I just tie my hair and no one notices my roots.

I didn't have that "detox" period on my skin though as my skin loved the DIY shower gel. It was great for a nighttime bath since I scented it with lavender, ylang ylang, and frankincense. My hair rebelled though when I used it as a shampoo but this is my chemical-dependent hair still undergoing a detox.

The fun part though was making other things from the raw materials. I made my own linen spray when I ran out of linen spray (a mix of witch hazel, lavender, and distilled water) which also served as a dusting spray and since these are so mild ingredients, I used them also to tame my greasy hair.

A DIY spray for home and even hair
I also noticed that my hands do not crack as much with these DIY home care products or do my nails break like crazy from harsh chemicals (I do wear gloves just in case). Since I have pets, I steer clear of EOs that are not good for pets and give a good rinsing on  surfaces and keep my materials away from them. I also make sure that I do not use phototoxic oils on surfaces that would be exposed to sunlight. Caution should always be exercised and if an oil is not safe due to allergies or whatever, it's best to stop using it.

I do would like to continue using DIY skin and home care, even the DIY shampoo. The shampoo though isn't for me to do so forever, but I can use it on the occasion that I would want to go on a detox. I can continue on using my DIY home care, knowing that linen and dusting sprays can cost so much money when I can make something on my own.  I should also remember to make small batches since these, being freshly made in my own kitchen usually do not last longer in storage than commercial products. I can try mixing different blends too, to match my mood. Any blends for me to try out?


Store Directory

Beabi
www.beabi.com.ph; facebook.com/ilovebeabi; instagram.com/ilovebeabi

Ilog Maria
www.ilogmaria.com; 

Naoe
available at Retail lab Glorietta and Ayala at the 30th and The Park, Shangri-La Plaza
www.naoe.ph; facebook.com/naoe.ph; instagram.com/naoe.ph

The Oil Lifestyle
facebook.com/oilifestyle; instagram.com/oilifestyle/

No comments: