Sunday, October 1, 2017

Boracay After 12 (Years)

I don't really get to travel much but when the opportunity beckoned once again, I was like omigod, can we go to Boracay again? The last time I was there was 2005 and I fell in love with it. Much has changed after twelve years from all the photos I see online and I wanted to go back once again.

When I said I shall be going back, I got asked a lot why I chose Boracay instead of Palawan, Siargao, etc. since Boracay has been so commercialized. I said why not? It has been so long and the last two times I was there (my first was in 2004) I had wonderful memories of the place. It was September anyway, so less of the LABORacay crowd or summer crowd that would cause the extreme introvert that I am to cower in fear. If it was really horrible as it is described now, then at least I can say for myself. If it gets rained on, at least it's still a beach trip, golden tan or no golden tan.

Back then, PAL would only fly from Manila to Kalibo so from the airport, we would board a van for a 2-hour road trip to Caticlan. PAL now flies straight to Caticlan so that shaves off  2 hours of travel. The Caticlan airport has really improved in their facilities with better lavatories, facilities, air conditioning, and stricter security. They also don't take you directly to the beach front anymore unlike before.  First, from the plane, you take a shuttle bus going to the old airport where you claim your baggage.  Then, depending on how much you want to spend and how adventurous you are, you can do like a worry-free transpo package to your hotel or take one trike that will take you a 10-minute ride to the Caticlan Jetty Port, take a ferry (or a pump boat) going to Boracay Island then another trike ride going to your hotel.  I prefer the ferry especially since I get super seasick and it's more roomy. Now depending where your hotel is, the trike ride from port to hotel varies. If your hotel is in station 3, then it takes a short while. But if your hotel is in station 1, maybe 30 minutes or so, depending on the traffic. The hotel was in station 1. The locals though were very nice and friendly and assured me that despite the slopes, our luggage at the back of the trike was still very much stable.

A view that's totally #nofilter and with lighting that's the best IG filter, ever.
A Boracay September low-peak season is pretty much perfect for the introverted person who wants quiet beaches. If you can spare a few VLs, best go there on weekdays as Stations 2 and 3 can get pretty much crowded on weekends. With regards to rains, it usually rains on early morning but the sun would be so generous enough and shine after. The waters aren't that icy cold. There seemed to be like built-in heaters in the ocean, even on 6 am. Contrary to popular belief, there are no green stuff on the ocean at this time. It's clear and gorgeous. Weeks before, we already checked weather forecasts and thankfully, there were no thunderstorms the time we were there. Thankfully, there are now movements and projects to clean up the beach so it still stays pristine white and the ocean water super clear.

"See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me."

The beauty of the place is that it has the perfect natural lighting with no need for Instagram filters. Most of my photos have no filter or photo editing done. The sand is powdery white and doesn't feel like granite when you walk barefoot but soft and pillowy. During low tide, the shore would be super wide (I would say, wider than EDSA) you can run from your beach bed to the water and you're done for the day's cardio. Whereas some people are annoyed at the existence of commercial areas and buildings, I welcome this commercialization as the perfect mix of urban city life and salty sea air for your dose of #vitaminSEA (think Hawaii or L.A. where a beach is just a tambling away and live your Sweet Valley High dreams of going to the beach every weekend or after school). For people who are more at home with cities and concrete, this is the perfect compromise. The best part I like at how urban this place is is the convenience at the event of an emergency.  If ever an accident would happen like allergy attack, asthma attack, or broken bone that may happen, or natural calamity, there is ample cellphone signal and a hospital to rush to. I swear if I were to be an island girl for the rest of my life and choose one island to live, this would be it.

The restaurants we love are still there. Manana is still there to serve yummy Mexican food and margarita in their gigantic glasses.

Mango Margarita virginized

Super yummy enchiladas
Jonah's Milkshakes is very near the hotel and still served their yummy milkshakes. This time, they have their own to-go paper cups for those sipping their drinks to-go instead of mineral water bottles (yay for less plastic). Tip too, if you have reusable stainless steel straws, please bring them with you in your checked-in luggage. Let's keep our oceans clean and be kind to the turtles by eliminating the use of plastic straws.

Jonah's Watermelon milkshake. Just watermelon and water.
No Sugar or milk. Super refreshing!
Straw from GozeroPH
Ti Braz Creperie and French Bistro has you covered with both sweet and savory crepes. On Tuesdays, their crepes are 50% off. So yummy! You can also order smoothie bowls by Fuel Bowls for your dose of raw fruit and superfood yumminess.


Did you know that I only got to see Real Coffee and Tea Cafe's Calamansi Muffins now? They are so good and are one of the most perfect breakfasts ever. So good with coffee. Real Coffee and Tea also does not use straws, helping eliminate more plastic waste. They also sell their muffins for Php350 a box of six pieces. Perfect for pasalubong.


The place has a breezy beach hut vibe where you can people watch while sipping your shake or coffee and eat some muffins.

Speaking of breakfast, I would have to say that the best place ever to have breakfast there (or any meal) is The Sunny Side Cafe located at Station 3 in Sands hotel. When you get there, the place is like morning every day with its sunny yellow and gray interiors I feel like singing Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles. So pretty!

You know how much I love real food made from scratch? This restaurant follows that principle. Everything is in-house: bread, ice cream, chorizo burger, bacon, patties, and pancakes, omigod their pancakes!


These are their ube and cereal milk pancakes. These are just so good and are a mixture of a lot of awesome sweet flavors in your mouth it will bring you happy tears. The Sunny Side also has airconditioning when you want to take a break from the heat and WiFi to Instagram all these food that's gorgeous as it is good enough to eat. I can probably eat all my meals there and then just run around the beach to burn all the calories off.

Familiar food joints like McDonald's, Starbucks, Shakey's and Jollibee were also seen in the island. I was also able to spot a few MiniStop branches and a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf by the main road. There was even a JT Manukan over there! I'm looking at the existence of these familiar food places as a plus for those travelling on a budget or with kids or yayas not really adventurous to try out food places or eat food very familiar with them. I know I remember when I was a kid I would crave for McDonald's everywhere we went.

Of course Boracay is more than just a strip of sea and sand. There are also activities to try like paddleboard and parasailing. I'm not much on the water sports since I really want the body and the brain to really chill during these four days and take a short break from training and working out and let some refined carbs in my system.  so pretty much I sunned out, happy swam, ate food (all the happy carbs!), and my workout was morning light yoga by the shore and walking along the beach.

I will be back, love. That's for sure

When the 2005 vacation ended, it was a bittersweet one. This one had me the same feeling that I didn't want to leave yet and four days felt really bitin. I know that I will be back once again. I actually liked and welcomed it being commercialized. I appreciate too also the fact that there are now efforts in maintaining the clean shores and water like clean-up runs and prohibiting of bringing back sand and corals back home. I really believe that this will be that perfect balance of island life and city life like I see in these shows like Sweet Valley High or 90210 where they take walks by the shores after a long day. If I get to go there even for work and some time on the sun, I will be happy. Maybe during low-peak season with not much people, yes?

No comments: