Sunday, October 30, 2016

Smoothie Bowl Recipes

Smoothie bowls are like yummy inspirations in the morning. They're super fun to make, pretty to look at and take photos of, and they're full of things that are good for you. If you find consuming a bowl of fruit too hardcore, give all those fruits a new look by turning them to a smoothie bowl, and add a few nutritious ingredients too for more texture and crunch.

Basically, a smoothie bowl is a bowl of a really thick smoothie topped with delicious ingredients (fruit, nuts, seeds, etc). The smoothie in this bowl is very thick, almost like melted or soft ice cream or soft sherbet, with a more scoopable consistency than your regular smoothie. They're perfect not just for breakfast but for snack on a hot day, and with us living in a tropical country and having an abundance of fruits, take advantage of this awesomeness because I have here three smoothie bowl recipes you would surely love. As you get more creative, you can create your own combos and flavors, depending on what you feel like and the fruits that are in season. This is even so much cheaper than eating the ones in health food stores! DIY is the way to go.

For my smoothie base, I start with mostly frozen fruit. I freeze bananas ahead of time (they're usually the main ingredient having that nice, creamy texture and natural sweetness). I prefer the regular lakatan bananas since they're much sweeter and less starchier. I buy frozen berries, especially if they're not in season. I also like doing my smoothie bowls in a chilled, frosty bowl so chill your bowl for around 30 minutes, I usually stick my bowl in the freezer as I do my workout before breakfast and while preparing food. That will get my bowl nice and cold so the smoothie stays cold longer. Also, work with less fluid (usually soy milk, fruit juice, or coconut water), half (or a bit less) than what you would use for regular smoothie.

So let's make these smoothie bowls:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweetness

Smoothie:
Frozen bananas
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp cacao powder
1 tbsp coconut sugar
soymilk (you can substitute with any other nut milk like hazelnut, cashew, or almond)
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)

Toppings:
sliced bananas
sliced strawberries
coconut flakes
chia seeds
granola
chopped chocolate (I used 70% dark chocolate)

Blend the ingredients for the smoothie until scoopable consistency. Pour in a chilled bowl and decorate with your toppings.

Tropical Gorgeousness


Smoothie:
Frozen bananas
Frozen mangoes
Passionfruit
Frozen peaches
1 tbsp coconut sugar
soymilk

Toppings:
mangoes
nectarines
strawberry
granola
toasted coconut
chia seeds
a few mint leaves for color contrast and garnish

Blend smoothie ingredients and place in a chilled bowl. Decorate with toppings and serve!

Strawberry Sweet




Smoothie:
Frozen bananas
Frozen mangoes
Frozen strawberries
A packet of stevia or 1 tsp coconut sugar
Soymilk or coconut water (soymilk just makes it creamier)

Toppings:
strawberries
mangoes
chopped dark chocolate
chia seeds

Blend smoothie ingredients and place in a chilled bowl. Decorate with toppings and serve!

I personally prefer starting off with the chocolate smoothie bowl. It's so gorgeous and sweet it's hard to believe it's breakfast when it tastes like dessert, Then you can graduate to the more fruity bowls with a bit more tart and sweet taste, Then eventually, you can work on green smoothie bowls, getting more veggies in the system.

Show me your smoothie bowl by tagging me in your photos @bambikitty. Let me know your favorites!

No comments: