Monday, March 30, 2009
So, I've gathered a few survival tricks for these 2 months before the rain starts to pour. I dunno if this works truly but it keeps me sane when the temperature rises. Now I really wish for rain to happen
1. Hydrate. Water has been my best friend. I drink lots of it since I dont want to bloat and be parched after walking. I know my bag's been heavier though but I can't get dehydrated and be confined for 24 hours to be hydrated via IV again.
2. Protect. I use sunscreen all-year-round but now I've been religious to apply sunscreen before I go out, even when there's no sun. I certainly don't want skin cancer, wrinkles, or discoloration. My lips have not been spared. I have sunscreen for my lips (MAC tinted lip conditioner with SPF 15 in Popster from the Hello Kitty collection). I use moisturizer with SPF and make sure my foundation has SPF. Some of the products I use: Shu Uemura UV underbase, Paul and Joe Creamy Compact, Shu Uemura sunblock with SPF 50, and Olay Regenerist Day Cream with SPF 15. I keep humongous shades in my bag too
3. Switch to lighter formulations. My rich creams are used at night only on trouble spots and I rehydrate my skin with a lightweight lotion. I know it's hella humid but i still need to keep hydrated. My shampoos and soap bars are also lighter and the scents fresher and citrusy. I switched over to fruity, citrusy scents and baby colognes as well/
4. Tie up - Since I'm growing my hair it's been in a uniform bun perpetually during the day since I like to keep my hair away from my face a lot especially at work. Here's what I do to avoid strays: I gel/mousse it up for hold and then twist it to a bun. When it's nighttime, I let it loose in waves.
5. Wear everything light - I've been sporting dresses/shorts/short skirts/light clothing lately. Maxi dresses and mini-dresses are my first love. At least I'm lucky that I have a job with no strict dress code. :) I also wear more strappy sandals, flipflops, wedges, and all things light. It's too hot to wear the suit-vest combo.
6. Work out - Since I reveal more skin, I should get in shape. And all the more if I'm going to the beach.
7. Have fun - Stressing out on the heat will just wear me out. I might as well enjoy the summer!
I think I should post now my summer essentials, but hey, I'll reserve that for another post.
Monday, March 23, 2009
So sweet and so pretty! Anyway, I did swatches and product shots of the Hello Kitty lipsticks on display, since they're just too cute and I'd like to share them:
From L-R: Cutester, Most Popular, Fresh Brew, and Big Bow
There's also that cute Hello Kitty emblem embedded on the lipstick. I'm kinda iffy if I should use it as it's too cute to be destroyed. The packaging is just adorable too shiny with the HK emblem in black, gray, white, and PEEENK!
And here are some swatches!
Sheer, glittery, and frosty. I still love my mattes but I love the moisty, playful palette of these lippies.
So on the left is Cutester, which is a nude pink shade in a frosty finish. This one looks good with smoky eyes and strong contour. I think this would last me till spring ends. The glossy finish means I don't need much gloss with this, and I like that it would make my lips appear fuller sans collagen injections.
Most Popular is darker and the shade is mauve with a hint of purple. I was supposed to get this but since I prefer something warm and classic, I went for Strayin'. I guess for girls who still want the cool-toned lippie this one would be a choice.
Fresh Brew is now more on the brownish side at first, but it really looks like a nude lippie when I swatched it. In my case, I think I should combine this with a coral shade or lipglass to fit my lips but I think morenas could get away with it. The color reminds me of caramel candies too. Hahahaha.
Big Bow was a color too cute on the tube. It's this iridescent pink with some blue flecks. It kinda reminded me of a cooler shade of my Fafi Flash-N-Dash. From last I saw, there were still some stocks of Big Bow on counter. Maybe if there are still some available, I'll grab this too. Heeheehee.
I ended up getting Cutester, Strayin' (a nude pink in a frost finish), and Popster lip conditioner. The Popster lip conditioner is actually a recommendation by a friend (thanks so much!), and I'm really lovin' it for the staying power, the slight warm corally-pink tint, the hint of candy flavor and the SPF 15 too so my lips stay kissable and protected from harmful UV rays. Also, it goes well with my minimal-makeup look for summer (and this look, yes, I'm sporting right now). Both of these I love and I can't wait to go out in them.
Well, of course, it's makeup. How could I not resist? Heeheeheehee.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
turns out, it was the second birthday party of Paul and Joe, the Japanese-French brand that made waves in manila for its cutesy packaging and incorporating skincare with the brand. Of course being the P&J fan that I am, I attended it (and also Von would curse me to oblivion if I missed it. hahahahaha). As always, I'm very punctual in my events evoking my presence hours before call time. So knowing Von would be super busy in the event itself and 1 hour before the event, we posed for a photo-op.
Here's Cherry explaining the demo with Lanie at work. The look is very simple, very gorgeous and natural, something that I like since I don't want to be wearing too much makeup since it's summer.
After that, raffles were given where the grand prize winner won makeup worth Php50,000 from Paul and Joe. There were also special prizes given as well. Since there was a sale that day of up to 40% off, Paul and Joe items were flying off the shelves. I managed to score eye color powder #12, which is a pretty gold shade. I first saw this when I attended their seminar at Ascott and their international makeup artist, Craig Ryan French, used this on my model to highlight her cheekbones. I loved the effect of warm gold highlights and now that it's on sale, I purchased one (It was slashed from Php 1,025 to Php 615 bucks!). And all in good luck, it was the only one left.
Of course, who wouldn't be happy to score these babies:(with my previous MAC purchase), Eye color powder in #12, light cream foundation samples in #30, and WHEEE! more moisturizing compact foundation samples! Since their base makeup is one of the best out there, notice my glee. Oh and they're my shade too. :)
What a way to cap off the night and to a nice vacay mode again. :)
Friday, March 20, 2009
I had dinner at Bubba Gump a while ago, and funny thing, we spotted this sign on the post that I knew I just had to pose with it. I just found it amusing
He and I were laughing our hearts out and buti okay lang sa kanya pagbigyan ang vanity ko. Sayang I couldnt take the sign out as it was glued there.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
That's her on the right with a very young Lindsay Lohan in one of my most-watched Disney movies, The Parent Trap, where she played Elizabeth James, mom to two Lindsay Lohans and wife to Dennis Quaid's character. She was absolutely gorgeous there and so classy. I loved her wardrobe that transcended time.
Plus I saw how versatile she was when her mommy role took a 180-degree turn at Maid in Manhattan where she played a woman totally opposite Elizabeth where she played a very obnoxious and bratty socialite.
And here's the news about her untimely death as quoted from the Wikipedia article on her:
"On 16 March 2009, Richardson was injured in a skiing accident at the Mont Tremblant Resort. She was taken to Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur de Montréal after suffering a traumatic brain injury. She was listed as being in critical condition, and her husband, Liam Neeson, was reported to have joined her after flying from Toronto, where he was filming a movie. Richardson was flown on March 17 by private jet to Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan and visited by her sons, mother Vanessa Redgrave, and sister Joely Richardson. She died on 18 March 2009 at age 45."
Even if she's already gone, her legacy will always remain and will make her immortal
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Retail price: Php 800.00 at all MAC outlets
Slick Black Tube. :) I could be having hard time rumaging for it though in my makeup kit since it looks similar to my other tubes.
The wand tip is interesting, though... aesthetically speaking... I dunno, I just find the brush/wand shape cute:
Hey look... Spirals!
Like all lash primers, this is applied to the lashes before mascara and sort of "bulks up" and lengthens my lashes. When I applied it, I could see that it coats the strands and there are white fibers sticking to the ends of my lashes, sort of like "extending it". For personal use, you can apply this directly. For clients, a mascara brush may be needed.
So here are my curled lashes before applying primer:
There's makeup already here, so my eyes do not look too nonexistent or dead yet my lashes are almost invisible even if they have been previously curled. I have thick lashes but they're not that long. boo. :(
So anyway, with primer+mascara (I used Lancome Colour Virtuose mascara here. On its own, the effect is subtle, not bulking level, at least that's my experience) But with Prep+Prime:
Hello Lashes! No post-processing done here. I think this one made my regular mascara stick more and I like the extra lengthening effect. I have no problem with my lashes bulking up with more volume but with length, I need extra help. Plus this primer's lighter and much more comfortable than sporting false eyelashes again. I don't go for eyelash extensions since I like to play with my lashes a lot, and I don't want the comittment of too much touch-ups. There are other alternative lash primers too, but since I've already tried and tested MAC's, I went and got out this one and I'm sharing my opinion. Plus, it's a relatively cheap mascara base as compared to other bases.
If you're asking, can it be used for Back-2-MAC? yes it could. along with the brush cleanser bottle. I just need 3 more and I could score myself a free lipstick! Horray!
Sunday, March 15, 2009
- Olay Regenerist Serum, which is my fave moisturizer/makeup base
- Obagi Eye Cream for the skin around my Eyes
- Shu Uemura Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation #764
- The Body Shop Gurana Berry Lip Butter
- MAC eyeshadows: Arctic Grey (from the Chill collection), Nylon, and Swish
- NYX pigment in Oro
- The Body Shop brown eyeshadow (which I also use to define brows)
- The Body Shop Eye Luster Pearls #01 (Blue)
- Revlon Creme Eyeshadow palette in Not Just Nudes
- MAC Studiofinish Concealer in NW30
- MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC30
- MAC Mineralize Satinfinish powder in Redhead
- MAC lipsticks in Hot Tahiti and Russian Red
- Sephora Lipstick in N27
- MAC Lipglass in Viva Glam V
- Skin Food Choco Eyebrow Powder Cake
- Make Up For Ever Eyebrow Corrector
- Paul and Joe Eyebrow Pencil #4
- The Body Shop Cheek Color #04
- E.L.F. Healthy Bronzing Powder in Warm Tan
- Miners Sparkle Wand in Zinia
- Kryolan Eyeliner in Dark Brown
- Italia Ultra Fine Lipliner in Soft Pink
- Fasio HyperStay Mascara (shock-free)
- MAC Prep+Prime Lash
- Lancome Colour Virtuaose Mascara
- Shu Uemura Lash Curler (both full and half-size)
- Watercolors Eye Perfector
I didn't bother much with eyeshadows and just focus on perfect skin, lipsticks (notice the reds I brought and some neutrals) and define brows and lots of lashes and long-lasting mascara. This is also where I tested my MAC Prep+Prime lash (review to come soon) I tend to bring a lot although I'm mostly in the water or just eating (EEEK!) since I have this "Just in case I need to doll up" feeling. heeheehee... at most I just came up with this natural look, which I wore going home:
Just evening out the skin with concealer and powder, framing the brows with eyebrow makeup, a bit of eyeliner and bronze pigments, mascara, and bronzer. I forgot to put lipstick here, and since I just attacked some mcdonald's fries and Coke (Zero) Float, I just had lip butter here.
Tan development #1 done... Hopefully, I'll end summer with a more distinct tan line.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
For those anticipating the MAC Hello Kitty collection, here's a preview on the whole "feel" of the collection. I sure can't wait and still can't decide which to get as there are dozens too that want to get hold of them. :)
See you next month darlings!
Friday, March 6, 2009
Right now I've got no fever though, just my colds and cough but this I could handle. I'm also trying not to talk much to avoid laryngitis issues. :)
Till then I'll be back for more posts and all :)
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
This brow pencil is thinner than regular MAC pencils and it's the retractable kind, so no need to sharpen and applicable for Back 2 MAC. Yay!look at how thin it is:
Monday, March 2, 2009
This is a no-makeup look that's dewy instead of matted.
Photo by Mike Yu of Mantra Photography
Photo by Glenn del Rosario
Model's own Makeup
Here's How to recreate the look:
Face Prep and Base: These photos aren't photo-edited yet, so I made the skin glowy without being shiny and oily by play of matte and shimmer textures.
- Prepped clean skin with Olay Regenerist Serum and Shu Uemura UV Underbase
- Evened out with Sally Hansen Airbrush foundation as an all-over foundation (brushed using a foundation brush) and concealed imperfections with VOV cream foundation #3
- Set with Nu Skin Powder and Elegant Minerals Setting powder in translucent
- Contour with CS Contouring palette
- MAC MSF in Redhead as blush (on the salmon pink side) and highlight (on the gold side)
On eyes: - strong brows to frame the face and neutral colors of eyeshadow with a tad of shimmer. I stuck with warm palettes of peach and browns and lots of mascara to keep it feminine since I didn't use falsies in this shoot.
- Make Up For Ever Eyebrow Corrector #0 and MAC Lingering to groom and enhance the eyebrows
- Kryolan brown pencil to tightline eyes. Smudge this to get into the roots of the lashes.
- MAC cream color base in Shell on eyes as a base
- Peach and brown shades from the CS 78 color palette as color (Neutral matte for highlight, peach on lids and a warm brown to contour crease. Bronze eyeshadow on lashlines). Lids can be highlighted with MAC MSF in redhead (the gold side)
- The Face Shop Gel eyeliner in black on the top lashes
- Curl lashes with Shu Uemura lash curler and 3 coats each of The Face Shop Freshian Volumizing Mascara and Lancome Color Virtuose Mascara (at this point, I didn't bother with falsies)
Lips - neutral lips that are moist without overpowering
- Nude lipliner on lips (I kinda exaggerated the fullness a bit)
- MAC lipstick in Style it Up and blotted. This is a frosty nude color but since the look can get pale, I went with a pinkish gloss.
- MAC lipglass in Viva Glam V - I used a smidgen of this... just to add moisture and a hint of shine.
The hair is actually a wiglet. It's one of those cute wigs you buy in SM and clip on the hair.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
what’s your favourite eye shadow color to wear?
Color? it depends on my mood. Right now I'm more into matte browns and peaches because I'm into strong lips.
what’s the one product you wouldn’t leave your house without?
a humongous pair of sunglasses to 1) prevent squinting and 2) hide whenever im makeup-less. :P
what’s your favourite makeup look – high drama OR natural?
depends on my mood but I always like looking fierce.
which feature do you play up the most?
lips. hence my collection of red lipsticks
which feature do you try to downplay/cover up?
my forehead because it's broad.
your favorite makeup brand, if you could pick only ONE to exist?
it would be hard as i love them but i'll name my top 3 in no particular order: MAC, Shu Uemura, and Paul and Joe
which product have you re-purchased OVER and OVER again?
which product would you NEVER repurchase again and why?
Elianto Eyeshadow. I know! I'm guilty of how much I loved it before pero later on as time goes on it cracks into gazillions of pieces and gets too powdery and chalky. Baxi works so much better.
one beauty treatment you would always PAY to have done?
Brazilian Waxing. After one treatment, it can be addicting (yet still painful). Eva Longoria Parker is right. Oh, and haircuts. Certain pedicures too
one beauty treatment you would NEVER pay to have done?
Makeup because I prefer doing my own makeup (even when I model)
one beauty trick you can share with everyone?
BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!
best advice you've ever been given regarding beauty and makeup?
Never sleep with makeup on. My makeup removers are always my best friends.
Now, I'm tagging anyone who would want to copy this post too! Of course not the answers!